Ministry of Mission
The Ministry of Mission oversees the support, care, communications and evaluation of all missionary work supported by University Presbyterian Church (UPC) locally, nationally and around the world.
Several missions are under the direct oversight of UPC:
· Lao Partners – partnership between UPC and the Lao Evangelical Church in Laos. This ministry sends mission teams to Laos and has brought Lao pastoral leaders to Fresno to strengthen this partnership. Two lay pastors shepherd the Lao Fellowship group that worships together Sunday mornings in the Lao language.
· Neighborhood Tutoring Program – weekly tutoring program for elementary school children by volunteers from UPC.
· Earth Angels – ministry coordinated by Helen Clark that sews blessing gowns for premature babies that pass away. They also quilt and crochet blankets, hats and booties for children in crisis situations.
The following missionaries and mission agencies are currently supported by UPC.
- Fresno Interdenominational Refuge Ministry (Rev. Sharon Stanley)
- Presbytery of San Joaquin
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (Dr. Randy White)
- Joni and Friends
- Evangelicals for Social Action/Love, INC
- Fresno Metropolitan Ministry
- Earth Angels
- Hope Now for Youth
- Evangel Home
- Maroa Home
- Poverello House
- Fresno Rescue Mission
- Link Care Center
- Habitat for Humanity
- Community Food Bank
- UPC Neighborhood Program
- Washington - Presbyterian Frontier Fellowship (Kathy Giske)
- Idaho - InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (Cynthia Boline)
- Illinois - Armitage Baptist Church (Jane Wilder)
National & International Missions:
- Presbyterian Church USA General Assembly
- Cameroon - Jeff and Christi Boyd
- Campus Crusade - Leslie Pethoud
- Laos - UPC Lao Partners
- Romania - Children to Love International (Joshua Ory)
A number of special offerings are taken during worship throughout the year. Gifts in 2010 were used to fund Habitat for Humanity, local and national prison ministries, disaster assistance, self-development, Christian churches in foreign countries, national and international youth and young adult ministries, child advocacy, peacemaking, refugees, racial ethnic schools and universities, and hunger relief.
In addition to the mission activities listed above, Presbyterian Women, UPC Teen and Children’s Ministries and other ministries of UPC participate in a wide range of mission activities throughout the year.
For additional information about Ministry of Mission programs, contact the church office at 559-439-8807.